Enzo Titolo

Politics, Paranoispiricies, neologisms, diary, creative, ruminations

Monday, June 28, 2004

Can YOU tell ME how to get to Sesame Street?

I am from the first generation of Sesame Street viewers, having been two years old (and able to walk to the TV and put the show on) when it premiered in 1969. I can attest to the fact that TV can cause jealousy and anger due to my experiences with Sesame Street (the original and best example of educational television worldwide).


I yearned to be on Sesame Street, hanging out with Mr. Hooper, Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, and eating cookies with the Cookie Monster. After all, each episode had kids like me on the set.


What irked me was the opening song in which kids sing while running through fields: "Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?" Then, similar kids would be on the set playing, partying, and learning with the Muppets.


What got me angrier and angrier was that these kids were singing a song asking ME if I knew how to get to Sesame Street, when it was obvious that they were literally the insiders: inside the TV, inside the show, and on the opening credits, taunting me with their privilege and insider status, while I was on the outside.


Every episode, I'd watch, wondering how I could get to Sesame Street, and I never found out.


Epilogue: In the early 1990s after I became an adult, I stumbled onto Sesame Street, while applying for a job at the Children's Television Workshop, the Producer of Sesame Street. It turns out that this place is inside a drab beige 1960s era building across the street from Lincoln Center. No hills or fields there; just traffic. It seemed obvious that Sesame Street was actually mired in unions, bureaucracy, paperwork, and disgruntled clockwatching employees.


Perhaps my childhood's initial brush with disappointment was for the best. Subsequently, as an adult, I applied twice for positions at CTW, never to be hired. Perhaps that was for the best.

1 Comments:

At 3:44 AM, Blogger Editor said...

A grown-up continuation of this story concerns my following the adventures of the women of Sex & The City. I liked Samantha and I wanted to find out where in the city I could meet her, or the woman she was based on, but week after week I returned, never to find out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

FAIR USE NOTICE:: This site contains images and excerpts the use of which have not been pre-authorized. This material is made available for the purpose of analysis and critique, as well as to advance the understanding of political, media and cultural issues. The 'fair use' of such material is provided for under U.S. Copyright Law. In accordance with U.S. Code Title 17, Section 107, material on this site (along with credit links and attributions to original sources) is viewable for educational and intellectual purposes. If you are interested in using any copyrighted material from this site for any reason that goes beyond 'fair use,' you must first obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.