Enzo Titolo

Politics, Paranoispiricies, neologisms, diary, creative, ruminations

Thursday, June 15, 2006

NeoLogism - Inclusive Education

I was thinking about how tired and negative the term Special Ed is. It sounds so smarmy and falsely affirmative. Like having a challenge or disorder is good, making you 'special.' I actually kind of love my ADD, but I don't think it makes me special. I make me special.

It also reminds me of that 1980s SNL Dana Carvey skit with the church lady: "isn't that special?" There was even a character on Comedy Central's Crank Yankers named Special Ed.

Special Education sounds like the students are all retarded, yet retarded people don't like being called retarded because it means stupid, weird, dirty, and frightening. Parents want their kids to succeed and to be special for themselves, not because of their challenges, disabilities, or disorders. They want their kids to cope but to thrive and to do it included in mainstream America, not segregated into a second class class out of site.

I think it is long overdue to rename Special Education. I suggest: Inclusive Education.


Inclusion is a good thing, especially in public education. Also, inclusion appreciates diversity of learning styles.

I am smart, but I need help with organizing and dealing with social situations. If Inclusive Education were available to me in college and graduate school I could have learned and succeeded much more, and gained more skills for the work-world. I'd be more included in school and in work.

Those who oppose or fear Inclusive Education are exclusive, keeping people out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FAIR USE NOTICE:: This site contains images and excerpts the use of which have not been pre-authorized. This material is made available for the purpose of analysis and critique, as well as to advance the understanding of political, media and cultural issues. The 'fair use' of such material is provided for under U.S. Copyright Law. In accordance with U.S. Code Title 17, Section 107, material on this site (along with credit links and attributions to original sources) is viewable for educational and intellectual purposes. If you are interested in using any copyrighted material from this site for any reason that goes beyond 'fair use,' you must first obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.